Wednesday 5 January 2011

Possibly a breakthrough.

Assault, templates, melta, speed. It has them all? Yes. All of them. It also has suppression fire. And jazz.

Yeah. We actually have a list. It's one I'm finally happy with. I feel like I've smashed through some kind of brick wall I've been stuck at. I managed to work a list that has enough melta (13), enough templates (5), enough assault (Mephiston + 30 marines with the FnP bubble), enough suppression (3 rifledreads) and enough tanks (10). I absolutely love this list, the only bit I'd think about changing is mephi, for a normal libby + another assault squad, but I think he adds something nice to the list.



So I suppose you want to see the list. Sure, here we go.

HQ
Mephiston
250

5 Honour Guard
2 Melta Guns
Rhino
185

Troops
5 Assault Marines
Melta Gun
Razorback
Twin Linked Heavy Flamer
130

5 Assault Marines
Melta Gun
Razorback
Twin Linked Heavy Flamer
130

5 Assault Marines
Melta Gun
Razorback
Twin Linked Heavy Flamer
130

5 Assault Marines
Melta Gun
Razorback
Twin Linked Heavy Flamer
130

5 Assault Marines
Melta Gun
Infernus Pistol
Rhino
140

Fast Attack
3 Bikers
2 Melta Guns
110

3 Bikers
2 Melta Guns
110

Land Speeder
Multi Melta
Heavy Flamer
70

Heavy Support
Dreadnought
2 Twin Linked Autocannons
120

Dreadnought
2 Twin Linked Autocannons
120

Dreadnought
2 Twin Linked Autocannons
120

Notice the breakthrough I had? Bikers. xD. I was sitting thinking "if only there was some not troop melta unit I could take that could have melta guns, and wasn't 180 fucking points". Then I realised I did. And had done, all along. So, a bit on what's in the list and why.

I should start with Mephiston, but he'll be a bit easier to manage if I review some other elements first. So lets start with the core of the list. The 4 units of 5 Assault Marines in Flamerbacks. Ok, well they are there to score, provide cheap chassis and destroy infantry. That's all. Really, that's it. No fancy tricks here just "infantry killers". They have melta guns because something I wanted in this list was for every unit to be a threat to every kind of unit (which I managed!). They will fry what my meltas pop open, and may disembark late game for some melta goodness.

The honour guard are there for a meltabunker. Simple as that, they pop open tanks for me to burn. They also give me a FnP/FC bubble (which is nice, and means mephi can take on vect if I get to charge!) and an extra chassis. As well as more marines (which I can assault with if it comes to it, the unit gets 18 S5 I5 attacks on the charge) to throw in the enemy's face. The Infernus bunker is there to act as a mini honour guard unit. Just rollin round frying tanks. And being troops. And all the other points in this paragraph.

The rifleman dreads are there to suppress and (in centurion) act as table quarter getters. Everything in my army rushes off toward the enemy, these guys sit back and can happily net me some quarters if people aren't paying attention. And they can tie up troop squads and stuff. And they're 5pts cheaper than their nilla/SW counterparts. Woo!

Ok the breakthrough unit. Bikers. They're quick melta that's easy to hide behind rhino chassis and terrain, that move 12" and fire. Frankly, they're fantastic for this list. They keep pace and just.... Man. Can't believe I didn't think of them. >_>

And the land speeder is a land speeder. What do you want? xD

So what do you guys think? I seriously this might be the list I'm taking.

4 comments:

  1. Bikes are good enough... but for 10 points less you could have 2 Multi-melta Attack bikes w/ 4 wounds total instead of 3. There's almost zero reason to take the units of 3 bikes with short-range melta vs. 2 attack bikes with much (much much) better melta range. Here's the URL for a tactica I wrote a long time ago about attack bikes:

    http://rumorsofheresy.blogspot.com/2010/02/why-i-love-attack-bikes.html

    The only benefit is the better leadership, which is negligible.

    It's an interesting list, with a lot of good MSU elements. It would a tough list to play against for sure. I think you'll really have a challenge keeping everything within the 6" FNP bubble the single dude in the HG provides.

    Sure, he'll cover a few of them, but to be realistic, he won't be able to cover everyone, especially with the way your list necessitates you using the HF's on the Razors.

    I'd drop the Speeder, and both bike squads, and add 6 MM attack bikes, or possibly only 5 MM attack bikes, and another priest.

    Just my two cents- the list as a whole looks good, just needs tweaking. I think you'll find MM attack bikes much better than regular bikes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you're right. I don't even know what to say. I mean... wow. Uhh... yeah. Ok. I'm keeping the speeder (having one deep strike is a nice option, and I think the extra template will help) but I will certainly drop the bikes for 4 attack bikes I think. Dunno what I'll do with 20pts though.

    Should mention, the Honour Guard bubble isn't there for FnP, it's a nice extra, but they're the cheapest meltabunker you can get (that has proper melta). I'm sure FnP will come in handy though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a good use for your 20 points then- 2 more melta on the HG :) If you're paying the points for the squad already, another 20 won't hurt them, and will virtually *ensure* the squad will pop the tank they're trying for.

    Never hurts to add melta- a single melta at close range is like 16% to pop a Land Raider (21% to immobilize or better). So... 2 meltas vs. a Land Raider have a 42% chance to disable it. Still not *great* odds. 4 meltas are 84% though- waaaay better, for 20 more points. /shrug

    ReplyDelete